Labor Party presidential candidate Peter Obi on Thursday sounded the alarm that opposition political parties are pursuing a “negative strategy” ahead of the 2023 election campaign.
He alleged that the opposition is spreading misinformation on traditional and social media platforms and blaming it on the LP.
The former Anambra state governor made the allegation in a series of tweets on his Twitter page on Thursday.
He, however, said his party remains resolute and is committed to an issue-based campaign.
“As we approach the official launch of the 2023 election campaign, it has become apparent that the opposition is pursuing a negative strategy of trolling and insinuating fake news and misinformation on social media, blaming the Labour Party, its presidential candidate and supporters. We stand by our commitment to issue-based and clean campaigning.
“We will also reject all such deceptions and smears aimed at unsettling the voting populace of Nigeria who want a credible change of leadership. – PO”
The PUNCH reports that Obi’s media aide, Valentine Obienyem, on Aug. 10, 2022, assured that his boss’s campaign would be based on issues and not personalities when it begins.
He pointed out that the former governor had agreed with the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, on an issue-based campaign for the 2023 general elections.
Obienyem said the call by Tinubu’s campaign organization for an issue-based campaign reflected exactly what Obi had been propagating over the years.
Had supporters taken this to heart, Obienyem said, some articles that appeared in some newspapers against Obi would not have been published, including those with insulting titles.
“Even as governor, Obi was not known for attacking people or spreading lies about others,” the statement added.